21.11.12

My Week


Moments of Gratitude
A mother's day can be very joyful on one end and very sad on the other end. And when she is at the sad end, she doesn't have the luxury of moping and and calling it quits for the day because trite as the saying goes, a mother's work is never done. Have you ever felt so near your snapping point? I most certainly have, and I cannot say that I always behaved properly.
However, during many such episodes, though, I learned that if only I sit still, breathe deeply, and open my heart, I sense promptings that are timely and welcome. Classic example: you won't achieve anything if you return hurting words for hurting words. At other times, there will be no such promptings, but there will be seemingly small consolations, like husband coming home from work earlier, a child's unexpected initiative to fold the laundry or put away washed dishes, and even a cheery email from a friend.  
We are never really alone, aren't we? Not even when it feels so like it. 

Beauty in the Ordinary
I finally re-assembled (after years, believe me) my sewing supplies, got my sewing machine running, and finished my first sewing project (in years, that's right) -- cleaning rags from old towels. Stacked together, they looked so beautiful in the mid-afternoon light. I am guessing that they would also look beautiful hung out to dry in the late morning sun. 

From the Kitchen
An orange cake that tasted reasonably orange-y and was not as exceedingly sweet as I had thought it would be. Coffee companion :-)

Praying
~ For my children's schoolwork.
~ For safety in school campuses, big and small. Any school should be one of the safest places in the world. 
~ For moms (and dads) who are running out of steam and cheerlfulness.
~ For the spirit of docility in God's workings in our lives.
~ For the well-being of Pope Benedict XVI and all the clergy because shepherds have so many things to do. 
~ For people who have nobody to pray for them.

Pondering
~ A friend once shared to me how her family went through a crisis that almost broke their spirits. She said that throughout the crisis, her mom was "very Marian." When faced with uncertainty, fatigue, and helplessness, I have to remind myself to consider how our Blessed Mother would have reacted when faced with similar circumstances during her earthly life.
~ Heaven on earth then heaven for real. That's the dream. How can I pursue this dream in my home and family, faced with the ordinary circumstances of daily living? How can I pursue the dream even when I am getting low levels of cooperation?      

Reading
~ Catechism of the Catholic Church
~ A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot
~ Tenets for Readers and Reviewers by Harold C. Gardiner, S.J.
Memorizing
The Magnificat still, but hoping to make progress because of this

Captured
This is Only Son's shot of one of his toy cars. There are two toys that he has not outgrown: cars and Lego. He is on a three-day camping trip -- his first! 


This post was originally linked with the Catholic Woman's Almanac, a Monday online linking activity started by Jenny who now blogs at The Littlest Way.

4 comments:

  1. Marcia, finally had a chance to visit your blog!

    I understand about the running out of steam but we can take consolation in the life all around us!

    I have started sewing again as well...it can be relaxing if the children leave you to it sometimes. Otherwise crooked seams LOL. Hope something relaxing comes out of it for you.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words, Samantha. How wonderful to hear from you! Yes, sewing can be therapeutic and with Christmas coming up, I just wish that we can have enough time for our projects... and the kids :-) Blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  2. True...we are never really alone; even when it feels like it.
    I, too, have had plenty of *those trying days*.
    Take heart! All your struggles count; recall the Morning Prayer:
    "...I offer You all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings..."
    I like to think they count double. :o)
    Orange cake sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a quartet alright - prayers, works, joys, and sufferings. Maybe I should also say the Morning Offering at noon, just as a quick reminder! And thanks for the idea of double-counting the trying circumstances :-)

      Delete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!