Skip to main content

My Week


Moments of Gratitude
It had to be the Year of Faith that encouraged me to read more about the Catholic faith and how I may live it more dutifully. 
While browsing in a bookstore one day, I chanced on Catholic Digest. I knew that there is such a publication, but being more of a book reader rather than a magazine reader, I would just skip that section in the bookstore. Well, I am glad that this time, I stayed a while. I bought one old issue and the current issue, and now I am a fan.
 
For a thin volume, a single issue is teeming with Church teachings, practices and traditions to observe the liturgical year, accounts on the saints for that month and living Catholics persevering to live good lives, and even practical tips on health and homemaking. What a joy to read! How wonderful to know that God guides us everywhere we are, even in the bookstore :-)
(In the Philippines, Catholic Digest is distributed by Bayard Assumption Media.) 

Beauty in the Ordinary
Have you ever stopped to admire the cleanliness and shine of the dining table at the end of post-meal cleanups? How the surface was all messed up a few minutes before, and now it is beautifully empty and clean and ready again for another sharing of blessings amongst family?  

From the Kitchen
For the first time in a long while, I cooked with rice noodles. I just happened to have a packet in my pantry, beans, carrots, bell pepper, and cabbage in the ref, and a little lean pork in the freezer, so I figured why not. I seasoned the dish with fish sauce and pepper, and we ate it with buttered French bread. I guess my family missed rice noodles, too, because we were done with dinner in record time.   

Praying
~ For people, especially children, who have to make do with very little food everyday
~ For those who have plenty to nourish their bodies, but take for granted what they have
~ For those who have something to give, may they give generously
~ For myself and moms like me, that we may have the fortitude to carry on with the task of feeding our families well
~ For leaders who are in charge of food security
~ For people who have nobody to pray for them

Pondering
The hopeful and joyful waiting during Advent. The rejoicing come Christmas. May we wait and rejoice as a family...

Reading
~ Catechism of the Catholic Church
~ A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot. A quote from the book: "...whenever you refer to your schedule or have a spare moment, lift your heart in a little prayer to him asking for His blessing or help in the coming hour."
~ Tenets for Readers and Reviewers by Harold C. Gardiner, S.J.

Memorizing
The Magnificat still. Getting there :-) Check out how I am doing it in this post. 

Captured
This is Youngest Daughter's dog. He turns two today. That's his serious look.
 

This post was originally linked with the Catholic Woman's Almanac, a Monday online linking activity started by Jenny who now blogs at The Littlest Way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…