28.11.12

Christ the King, Christ My King, Christ Our King

He must reign in our minds,
which should assent with perfect submission and firm belief
to the revealed truths and to the doctrines of Christ.

He must reign in our wills, 
which should obey the laws and precepts of God. 

He must reign in our hearts,
which should spurn natural desires
and love God above all things,
and cleave to him alone.

He must reign in our bodies and in our members, 
which should serve as instruments
for the interior sanctification of our souls,
or to use the words of the Apostle Paul,
as instruments of justice unto God.

- Quas Primas, Encyclical of Pope Pius XI on the Feast of Christ the King

Reading this encyclical has given me a richer understanding of the Feast of Christ the King. I can never claim full understanding, but I am happy that I now have a lot to chew on, so to speak. How beautiful to follow how His Kingship was taught and manifested in the Old and New Testaments. How welcome is the thought that His Kingdom is not of this world. 

A priest in his homily said that if Christ is indeed our King, we should follow his law. In practical terms, this is a daily struggle for me. I pray that my King will also grant me the resolve and the fortitude to fashion my life in a way that following His just and loving law would be its sole purpose. And may the Blessed Mother guide me along the way to her Son.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!