16.11.12

Memorizing the Magnificat

Inspired by Jenny and the ladies of SuscipioI committed to memorize The Magnificat.   

In terms of content, The Magnificat is timely because Christmas is approaching and recalling TheVisitation prepares us for Christmas. In terms of good practice, I thought it would be good to walk the talk. I have been requiring my children to memorize answers to catechism questions, and here I am unable to do so myself.

Reality check. If you are anything like me, you haven't done much serious memorization work since your school years. Oh sure, we memorize passwords, PINs, and short shopping lists of no more than four items. But formal, literary-type and prayer material? C'mon. Of course, it was difficult.

So I strategized.

I chopped the material into "memorization units" :-) One line is equal to one memorization unit. This is what I mean:

My soul magnifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices 
in God my Savior,
for he has regarded
the low estate
of His handmaiden. 

For behold, henceforth
all generations
shall call me blessed;

for he who is mighty
has done
great things for me,
and holy
is his name.

And his mercy
is on those
who fear him
from generation to generation. 

He has shown strength
with his arm,
he has scattered
the proud
in the imagination
of their hearts,
he has put down
the mighty
from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree;

he has filled
the hungry
with good things, 
and the rich
he has sent
empty away.

He has helped
his servant Israel,
as he spoke
to our fathers,
to Abraham,
and to his posterity
forever.

- Luke 1:46-55 
(Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, 
Ignatius Press)

I am beginning to feel like a little girl again, both excited and nervous while memorizing her multiplication tables and waiting for the school bus to arrive. I did quite well in third grade math. Let's see how this one goes :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!