10.11.12

Seven Quick Takes Friday: The Saints Say


I had wanted to post this last week, in time for All Saints' Day, but I did not finish working on it :-)

--- 1 ---
"Start by doing what is necessary; 
then do what is possible; 
and suddenly you are doing the impossible." 

I honestly do not know the original context of this quote, but that is strong practical sense there. After all, Saint Francis had a merchant father. Oftentimes, we do what is necessary because that is all we have time for. But if we keep at it, we find out that after we have done the minimum, it is possible to do something else, and then still something else...

I think this "Franciscan strategy" works for me when I am  trying to acquire or reinforce a virtue, say, perseverance. On some dry and uninspired days in the homemaking front, I can only manage the laundry. So I do that, because I think that is what we need most. We can have pizza delivered, right? Then after laundry is done, I find out that one of my daughters has decided to practice charity and folds the laundry for me. So I have time and decide that I can clean one bathroom. Then, inspired by the unexpected "quick win," I decide that yes, there is time to put together a simple fare for dinner.

I guess God gives a premium when He sees that you just keep plugging away.


--- 2 ---
"Let nothing disturb you, let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away.
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things. 
Whoever has God lacks nothing. 
God alone suffices." 

For the control freak in me, this is rather hard to chew. But if I sit down and face my fears and limitations, this is exactly what God is telling me. It is comforting as it is humbling. God has actually said it in many ways throughout the ages. Saint Teresa's version has a beautiful absolute-and-forever tone.


--- 3 ---
"You asked what you could offer the Lord. 
I don't have to think twice about the answer: 
offer the same things as before, but do them better, 
finishing them off with a loving touch
that will lead you to think more about him and less about yourself."

"the same things as before" - the ordinary
"but do them better...think more about him and less about yourself" - sanctify what you are doing

Saint Josemaria's precious and enduring lesson: Sanctify ordinary work. That advice puts so many students through college and so many workers through all sorts of professions. Thank you, Saint Josemaria.

You can find a prayer card of Saint Josemaria here.


--- 4 ---
"Give me souls; take away the rest."
- Saint John Bosco

No frills. Succinct and straight to the point. I just have to admire the religious.


--- 5 ---
"I will never do it (deny his faith). I am a Catholic and happy to die for God. 
If I have a thousand lives to offer, I will offer them to God."
- San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila  

How I wish I can have just a tiny, tiny fraction of the purity of San Lorenzo's love for God. If I knew that I actually have 1000 lives to offer, I will probably wait for the last life to make a good offering.

Dear San Lorenzo, through your intercession, I ask God that my love for Him will be unconditional and pure.


--- 6 ---
"With what procrastinations do you wait, 
since from this very moment you can love God would your heart?"
- Saint John of the Cross

That's right. Procrastination never, ever, pays. Not with lessons, not with housework, not with medical visits, and most certainly not with the spiritual.

Now, at this moment, I will love God as fully as I can.


--- 7 ---
"Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord;
let it be done to me according to your word."
- The Blessed Mother  (Luke 1:38)


Nobody has ever said "yes'" better.  


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Such an inspiring medley of Saints & sayings...thank you for these precepts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, and thank you for your comment! I am just in full awe at how the saints lived their faith...

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!