Skip to main content

Reading and Understanding

Maybe because I have been helping Only Son with his book report, and at the same time trying to figure out how to encourage Youngest Daughter to read books other than dog and horse books, that I reviewed something that I wrote three years ago. It is about reading comprehension questions, one of my beloved teaching tools. 

The piece was originally posted in my now closed blog. I made some revisions and now I share it with you.


I am a big fan of reading comprehension questions. After one of my children gets over the hump of reading a story all by himself, I am eager to know how much of what he is able to read can he actually understand. Reading comprehension questions directly address this concern, while training my child to fully understand and review his reading assignment.




Types of comprehension questions. In the early grades, I noticed that the questions are usually of the simple and linear who-what-where-when type. I think it is for training the child to recall details and build factual knowledge. I am amazed at how fast children can absorb facts at this stage... and how quickly I, the teacher mom, forget. There are times when just after reading a story together with my child, I still need to rely on my answer key to check his answers!

When the why-how type of questions is introduced, the dimension of critical thinking is added, and comprehension questions become more challenging. After the fourth or fifth grade (earlier for some), I think it is good to teach the child to be conscious of the elements of character, setting, plot, moral or lesson, while reading a story.




Answering reading comprehension questions. I used to force my children to write down their answers to each and every comprehension questions (taskmaster tendencies, tsk, tsk). I have to confess now that in the early grades, this drove them (and me, occasionally) to tears. It was stressful for all of us, and therefore, self-defeating. I know now - on 20/20 hindsight - that at a very young age, a child has to enjoy learning; otherwise, he will never love it.And if he grows up not loving the learning process, he will never muster the fortitude to plod on later in life when learning may become boring but necessary, or momentarily exacting but rewarding in the end. But I digress.

Most children love to talk. I know that one of mine does. So why not let them answer reading comprehension questions orally. This may lead to an extended conversation with mom about the story or poem just read. Then it would not be just an exercise on fact recall, but also on forming and expressing opinions. Also, while in conversation, feedback and re-learning, when necessary, become immediate.

Children can also draw their answers to reading comprehension questions. I find this especially useful for answers that describe actions or appearances. What did Juan's mother do when he came home late from school? How did the house of the richest man in the village look like? How do you think did Noah fill the ark with animals?

Eventually, though, those answers would have to be written down. And the child who was guided and not rushed to producing manuscripts would be ready - and willing - to deliver. An answer can be all of one complete sentence. One of my most gratifying moments as a teacher mom is when a child has written a complete and interesting sentence.




Offshoot activities and skills.  This is still a semi-wish list for me. After coming up with answers with accurate content and correct grammar, it would be good to linger some more with a really good story. A life of a saint or hero can be enriched by a short research paper on his place of birth, recognized miracle, or the congregation that he founded. After being assigned a patriotic poem, a child could read about the actual historical account behind it and come up with a historical timeline-map project. The possibilities are numerous, bounded only by a child's (or mom's) curiosity and imagination.

I hope I didn't sound too preach-y in this post. Reading comprehension questions just happen to be one of my ol' reliables in homeschooling. If you read this far, I hope the post will be of help to you.

Let's all read more this year than we did last year!      

  

Comments

  1. Very good post...I need to increase the reading time with my youngest. Above the assigned reading; fun reading. Somehow the hours in the day just fly by (or I'm just too tired).
    I think your last sentence is a resolution I need to make for this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…