Skip to main content

{pretty, happy, funny, real} : Decluttering Finds Edition

Capturing the Context of Contentment in Everyday Life ~
Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter


round button chicken



One of the nicest things about decluttering is that you do not only get to throw away useless stuff you should have thrown away years ago, but you also get reunited with useful stuff.

I call the useful stuff, "finds."

And this Thursday, I share with you some of my decluttering finds.


{pretty}


Missing or not, found or not, stickies are some of my favorite office supplies because, well, they are pretty. I particularly like those little thin stickies that you mark lines on a page with and do not actually write on. Yup, those ones on the upper right of the photo. 

The other stickies in the photo are not really finds. I got them from the second drawer of my filing cabinet (I can be organized, too) as photo companions for the found stickies.   

          


{happy}


When you are trying to add a long list of prices and you can't find your trusty pocket calculator, you can get really unhappy

So imagine my happy-ness when I found my guy after many months of making do with the computer's calculator. Why did I not use a spreadsheet instead? I wonder why, too.





Making the tie for the happy find are picture frames from happy times in the distant past. The picture frame on top has me and my maternal grandmother posing for my father's heavy camera some time in the sixties. 




{funny}


Sometimes when you cannot find an item that you need, the spirit of innovation prompts you to look for or fashion a substitute. The edge of a folder for a foot ruler is an easy example. 

What if you are missing a protractor and/or a compass and your child's math exercises for the entire week need a protractor and/or a compass? You command a total house search. With futile results, you either hurriedly find math exercises that don't require a protractor and/or a compass or you hurriedly take that unscheduled trip to the book store and make an unplanned expense on a protractor and/or a compass. 

So, is it not funny when you actually find those precious tools and you don't need them anymore? Yup, I don't find it funny either. This is a forced rhyme. 

Only the protractor is on the photo because the compass has gone missing again. The canary/ penguin/ strange bird beside the protractor is a photo companion. It was never missing, and it is not about to be a decluttering casualty if Second Daughter can help it. 


 
  

{real}


I must have mentioned once or twice in this blog that writing and coloring instruments can actually will themselves out of the study desks where your children need them. I can go around the house toting a small and narrow bin and before it is time for lunch, I have already filled 'er up. 

Not the most efficient way of keeping things together, but hey, I still got them all together in one bin, right? That is a real feat.  


 



Around here, we are always grateful for small mercies. 


Read more prettys, happys, funnys, and reals here.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…