16.6.13

Champagne from Lemons

Turned 80 this year :-)
If I were to choose just one of my father's traits that I am most thankful for, it would have to be his earnestness in providing for us. Quietly, dutifully, doggedly, and in an unfussy manner. We never had all that we wanted, but we had what we needed.

Materially, life gave my father lemons. And because he knew not finery, he couldn't tell lemons from grapes. So he went on and made lemonade, believing that it was champagne. Somewhere along the way, he finally figured out the difference, but by then, it didn't matter anymore.

And because Dad thinks and lives this way, he was able to give Ma, my siblings, and me, not riches, but enriching lives, not luxuries but opportunities, and definitely not all that there was to be had, but the good sense to go after what matters.

Happy Fathers' Day, Dad! Happy Fathers' Day to all fathers. May God bless you richly.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Marcia, This brought tears to my eyes.. You put it so beautifully.."Materially, life gave my father lemons. And because he knew not finery, he couldn't tell lemons from grapes.." This was my father's story as well..and yet he gave us all we needed.
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Blessings and +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And God is good for blessing us with the best start in life by giving us our fathers!

      You have a good week, Caroline :-) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!