19.7.13

Do Bells Get Tired?



Oh old, chipped, and oddly colored bell
in an oddly shaped belfry,
what story is yours to tell?




Surely you had glory days
of solid and ardent ringing,
pealing for happy hearts one day,
and soothing the pain of dirges the next.


Did the work tire you,
and finally break you?
Or is your garb but a guise
for the valiant service 
rendered with love?



Note: This is the belfry of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in the island province of Siquijor in central Philippines. 



2 comments:

  1. I think that old bell describes me nicely...
    well, the old, and oddly shaped part. :o)

    This is a beautiful poem and picture, Marcia. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then it might as describe me, too! Thanks for visiting; enjoy the rest of your week :-)

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!