Skip to main content

Spell It Right!



Until I had to teach spelling myself, the spelling list to me was just that - a list. And as with all lists, you cover the items one by one, from top to bottom, and then hope that you are done. Happily - and thankfully - it is often that way. But there is also more.

The spelling list is the core of any spelling program. I prefer a phonics-based spelling routine in the early grades. Since there are many language experts around, and I am not one of them, I do not attempt to individually develop the spelling list.

In the later grades, the focus is not just on spelling but also on other vocabulary components: pronunciation (which by then becomes trickier), parts of speech, etymology, word definitions, synonyms, antonyms, and the nuances of word use. The list then becomes more challenging and more interesting.


Consonant overload


Then, too, vocabulary words do not just come from the language arts subjects. They are actually all over the curriculum! I found it convenient to (somewhat loosely) classify spelling and vocabulary words into the following, with #1, #2, and #3 especially useful for the early years and #4 and #5 catching on later.

1. Phonics. Many good spelling programs are organized along phonics rules. Simplistically, it's spell-it-as-you-say-it. The phonics rules and corresponding spelling words are simple in the early years. For example, a week's words may have the short a sound (lad, fan, map). Phonics rules become more complicated in the higher years and syllabication rules are also thrown in.


The nuisance of nuances


2. Sight words. I guess if one has to learn to read words that do not quite follow the rules of phonics, one also has to learn to spell them (the, some, said).

3. Grammar rules. Sometimes spelling words are based on grammar rules, such as rules on forming plurals (family, families; child, children).

4. Words from other subjects in the curriculum. Spelling words may also come from words used in other subjects, such as reading, science (especially science!), social studies (lots of proper nouns in geography), and art.


From another part of the curriculum


5. Everyday words. Sources of everyday words are newspapers, labels of grocery goods, names of garments and other personal effects, street signs, and even conversations.

I found out, too, that while my children will not be spelling bee champs, they know that learning to spell and having a good vocabulary may spell :-) the difference between a dry and lifeless composition and a hands-down awesome piece. Later, too, I hope that they will agree that a good vocabulary, slowly but surely built over the years, also comes in handy in the SAT, college entrance examinations, and life in general.



Comments

  1. how do I follow your blog, receive updates by e-mail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melanie, thank you for your question. My blogger heart is warmed :-) I have to admit, though, that I haven't figured that out -- Google Plus, Google Friend Connect, Bloglovin' and all that. It is about time that I do so, however, so I can be better connected with all you lovely ladies. I will let you know, hopefully soon...

      Delete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…