Skip to main content

My Week



Moments of Gratitude 

I am thankful for the start of a new week, and that we started it by celebrating the birthday of our Blessed Mother.
I am thankful that even if there are a lot of tasks undone around the house, like laundry and ironing and cleaning, I am blessed with the appliances and gadgets to deal with them. I am thinking about the days of old when all housework had to be done with one's bare hands. 
I am thankful for the food in the ref and the pantry, the clothes in the closet,  the roof over our heads, and for my husband who devotedly provides for his family. 
I am thankful that because of faith, there are more solutions than problems.


Praying for
~ A good week in the homeschooling front. 
~ A good week in the weather front. 
~ A good monthly recollection tomorrow.
~ All our families and homes.  
~ The Pope's intentions for the month of September:
   "The value of silence. That people today, often overwhelmed by noise, may rediscover the value of silence and listen to the voice of God and their brothers and sisters. 
   Persecuted Christians. That Christians suffering persecution in many parts of the world may by their witness be prophets of Christ's love."
~ The Pope's intentions for the Middle East
~ Those who have nobody to pray for them.


Pondering
Last month, a combination of the southwest monsoon, a tropical storm or two, and perhaps, climate change in general, hit the Philippines with all their wrath and fury. That meant people dead, houses and entire communities flooded, men, women, and children hungry, sick, and homeless, and government, citizens' organizations, and even international groups, doing massive relief work. 
My family went through Habagat, as we refer to the event now (although strictly speaking, Habagat refers only to the southwest monsoon), unscathed. Of course, I am very thankful for that. But when tragedies like this happen -- and even when they don't; you walk the streets on a regular day and see enough poverty -- I get into this specific kind of thinking mode.
Have I been jaded by poverty, loneliness, and seeming sense of despair that is so commonplace around me?
What did I do to deserve a relatively and objectively good life? Luxury is alien to me, but by all standards, I have thus far lived with ENOUGH. 
Have I done what I could do?
Am I raising my children to be sensitive and morally and socially responsible persons?


In the Kitchen 
It would really make me a smug and accomplished housewife if I can get through this week without having to buy take-out food. There. 


Around the House 
At some point in the past, I read a lot of Flylady. Nope, I never got around to implementing even just a fraction of the wealth of her advice and tips on housekeeping (a topic for another post :-)). But yes, I remember that she had zones. She divided the house into zones, and assigned a zone that one should concentrate on for the week. 
That makes great practical sense. You have a lot to do, you cannot not do anything, you can only do so much, and you cannot afford to be overwhelmed to the point of exasperation and immobility. So you focus on one area this week while just getting by in the others. Then you move on to another area next week. 
Gosh, Flylady, I hope I got that right...
This week, I am working on my children's closets AND on making them keep their closets organized after I have done the initial work. 
Too much for a week? 


Reading
Regular reading got not so regular when Husband and I exchanged rooms with our daughters. I haven't really settled down in our new room. I am thinking though, that at any one time, I should have four books (and just four!) in my reading stack: one book for spiritual reading, one on family and/or the home, one education-related book, and one fiction book. The last one is optional.   
Let's see how this goes. 


Wandering Around the Web 
Aw, okay, I know you have seen this, but one more time won't hurt!


Captured 
I made this using Microsoft Publisher  and posted it in my son's room, the latest of my strategies to get him to clean his room. 
  This post was originally linked with the Catholic Woman's Almanac, a Monday online linking activity started by Jenny who now blogs at The Littlest Way.

Comments

  1. Love the poster.
    I have a chore a day list that helps me.
    It's kinda like a zone I guess. I sometimes think we over-organize ourselves and beat ourselves up if we don't accomplish. I never got into FlyLady. But my chore chart is on my blog if you want to check it. It is pretty simple.
    I'm so sorry about the monsoons and such. Sad. Yes, we all have so much more than some. I often feel badly that I am not more thankful.
    Sigh.
    Missed your posts the last short while. Glad to see you.
    Hugs & Blessings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will check out your blog for your chore chart. Things can get unwieldy without a system. Actually, I don't know if it's a case of over- or under-organizing with me. I tend to shift from one system to another without giving one system enough time to work :-(

      Thanks for visiting! Yes, I was kinda out of touch for a while and missed you ladies.

      Delete
  2. Real men DO clean and I am so glad you posted this in his room! I think I will post that for my boys. :) They're soon to be 6 and 9. Never too early to start, eh? I would love to make it a week without ordering out. But alas, it happens time and again each week - on Fridays or Saturdays mostly, that's not TOO bad. Is it?
    Blessings,
    Cristina @ Filling my Prayer Closet
    http://fillingmyprayercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Cristina! We just to keep trying with our boys, right? Yup, take-out food isn't too bad, especially is it makes mom more cheerful (less cranky?).

      Blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  3. I am hoping to go a week without takeout as well. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good and thoughtful items in this post...
    This one really struck me: "Am I raising my children to be sensitive and morally and socially responsible persons?" After all, my children are a huge part of my vocation. I am a neat freak, always trying to keep things orderly and clean...to the point of missing my vocation (?) I hope not. Your words were very sobering to me.

    I am so sorry about the storms and the havoc they caused to the people in those areas. God bless them, and those that give aide.

    Thank you for sharing the "Papal selfie", I had not yet seen it! He is so wonderful!!

    I pray you have a fruitful school year, God's grace and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…