Skip to main content

{prettty, happy, funny, real}: Ordinary Days


Capturing the Context of Contentment in Everyday Life ~
Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter


round button chicken



I like ordinary days. They are quiet, predictable, and of the hum-along type. 
Not to be mistaken though, they are also just as busy and full!

Today, I share with you a sampling of what can pop up during some of my ordinary days.  


{pretty}






This is my pretty (well, to me) sewing project stack. Each item in that stack has a project plan associated with it. Small plans, big plans. On an occasional ordinary day, I find time to work on some small plans like I did here and here. For the big plans, I wait for a weekend or an occasional holiday.


{happy}




Few things make me happier than finding out that my teenaged son made his bed before going to school in the morning. Making his bed consists of straightening the sheet, positioning his pillows at the head of the bed, one on top of the other, and occasionally adding a couple of stuffed toys that his sisters gave him for Christmas. Forget the bedspread or the cluttered desk or the soiled clothes on the floor; this mom is happy enough! 

{funny}




That's Youngest Daughter's dog. I was actually pleasantly surprised that Dog is mild-mannered, friendly, and quite obedient. She has made it her goal to befriend the one other pet in the house, a decidedly introvert cat. Cat sleeps off attempts by Dog to forge a friendship. 




{real}


This is the tote that houses Youngest Daughter's homeschool course plans. To me, each course plan is a real challenge, a real adventure, and a real way for mom and daughter to learn together. Like I say, in homeschooling, there are good days, there are bad days, and there are very bad days. We save the very bad days by deliberately ignoring the course plans in favor of "interest-led" activities. Then, when the realities of needing to go back on track hits us, there are the course plans to help us steer the course once again. 


 

What make up your ordinary days?


Catch more prettys, happys, funnys, and reals here.




Comments

  1. Marcia, What a joy to read about your 'ordinary days'...which every home school mom knows is never really ordinary. I miss those days, and can still remember the occasional bad one (though the memories are of many more good ones) :-)
    Love the pictures of your pets and your sewing project stack..I thought I was the only one with one of those!
    Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in good company! Here's to finding more time to sort through our sewing stacks :-) Thank you for visiting, Caroline!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful ordinary days! Your technique for saving the 'very bad days' is wise...I think calling it a day when things just are not going according to plan is OK. The beauty of home schooling is having that flexibility (and know when to improvise). Which reminds me of my husband's saying (which he borrowed from a Clint Eastwood movie):
    "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome". (a secular motto to our Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam) :o)

    btw - adorable pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" Hey, I like that! Inspiring as its is practical. And with AMDG undertones, too! I knew Clint Eastwood can come up with something other than "Go ahead, make my day." :-) Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Marcia you are so organized! my ordinary would not make a pretty happy picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Anabelle, in my case, there's less than meets the eye :-) I just adore your children's photos; I'm sure being their mom gives you your daily dose of pretty and happy!

      Delete
  4. Ordinary Days are wonderful, aren't they? Every day that we are given is, I suppose. I really love your kitty. I have had a siamese cat for 17 years...he is an old man and I know I won't have him much longer and it makes me REALLY regret getting him fixed when he was young. I wish I could have more just like him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish our Siamese cat will also reach old age like yours! Pets do add joy to family living. Well, right now your dear cat is still with you, and you can savor every day with him :-) Thank you for visiting, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I've never heard of this link up!
    Looks enjoyable. I love reading your posts. Knowing you are on another continent and we are connected by our Faith! God is good.
    Blessings,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! I am amazed myself that technology allows us to get in touch and learn from each other. I do learn heaps from from your personal and craft blogs. Yes, indeed, God is good!

      By the way, Auntie Leila does share a wealth of wisdom in her blog Like Mother, Like Daughter. Spend some time visiting her!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…