21.10.13

My Week

Moments of Gratitude 
I am thankful for 
~ the northeast monsoon (amihan in the vernacular) bringing in bearably hot, humid, and laundry-friendly days and cool breezes in the late afternoons and evenings.
~ the semestral break that just started for Eldest Daughter. Definitely, she can use the break to rest and recharge, and I can also use a break from worrying about her safety as she does her daily commute to and from the university.
~ a 23-year old sewing machine that patiently helps me save some pesos as I try my skills at sewing curtains for the house and mending our clothes.
~ unhurried preparation for Sunday Mass.


Praying for
~ the victims of the earthquake that hit central Philippines
~ safer streets and highways for motorists, pedestrians, and commuters
~ our Blessed Mother's intercession and guidance for all our families
~ cheerfulness, in the midst of overflowing laundry hampers, late meals, and kitchen floors that get dirty a minute after you have mopped them
~ the elderly, especially those who have no family close by
~ those who have nobody to pray for them


Pondering
When an earthquake hit the provinces of Bohol (where the epicenter was) and Cebu in central Philippines last week, we mourned over the loss of lives and the plight of the families displaced by the disaster. 
Unlike other natural disasters that we have experienced though, this earthquake presented another reason to mourn -- centuries-old Catholic churches that are now part or mere rubble. It might be said that some of the beginnings of Christianity in the Philippines are to be found in Cebu, one of the first places reached by the Spanish colonizers. This explains the religious and cultural treasure in Cebu's and neighboring Bohol's old churches. With the destruction of these beloved structures, Filipino Catholics are truly and deeply saddened. 
Still, the Church is a living entity, and while we may be partially devoid of historical houses of worship, God and His Word are alive in His children. A people made strong and resilient by natural disasters, Filipinos are almost on auto-mode as various sectors of society work together to offer relief and hope to the victims, and help them rebuild their homes and lives. 


Reading
~ Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours 
I am finally learning how to pray using the Liturgy of the Hours. I must admit that I am still confused, though. Hopefully, I will be flipping to the right pages soon enough :-)   
~ Christmas with Christ: Finding Joy Each December by Alexander J. Basile
What a find! Just the book that I would want to accompany me this Advent. Right now, I am just browsing here and there. I intend to start reading it from cover to cover starting the week before Advent. 
Excerpts from the outside back cover:
"Each year, society prepares for the commercial season of Christmas earlier than before... We don't take time to reflect on the deeply profound beauty of the Incarnation... The birthday party is in place and we never invite the guest of honor..." 
~ The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum by Laura M. Berquist
It's not as if the children and I can use more material in our already packed (and boxed) curriculum! I just 
thought that the children and I should take time to read poetry aloud, and Ms. Berquist's collection is a real treasure. 
This excerpt from the Introduction hits straight and hits hard, and can singlehandedly make the case for the study (and love!) of poetry:
"The old adage 'You are what you eat' could be changed truthfully to say 'You are what you see and hear.'"

Wandering Around the Web
Charity and disaster preparedness begin at home. Civil authorities and financial and physical resources can go a longer way if individual families are prepared and know what to do when disaster strikes. 
This is not exactly a pleasant task, but I am reviewing disaster preparedness information in the Internet. As with most topics, there is an abundance of information. For now, I am concentrating on a local website and also this neat site


Captured 



This post was originally linked with the Catholic Woman's Almanac, a Monday online linking activity started by Jenny who now blogs at The Littlest Way.

6 comments:

  1. Soon the Liturgy of the Hours will be second nature to you...glad to read you are praying these beautiful psalms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! I so needed that :-)

      Delete
  2. Do you know about universals.com? I have two different books of the liturgy of the hours - a simple one and a more thorough one, but these days I just go to universals.com because it doesn't involve flipping pages or wondering if you're supposed to be reading one of the special feast or memorial readings instead. Very simple - a real sanity saver, especially first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that suggestion; I will be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curtains are lovely. Yes, prayers of and for cheerfulness, I need to pray that more often.

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!