9.11.13

What Will Last


Image courtesy of Gualberto107 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


I nurse some ambivalence about the so-called empty nest stage that married couples are supposed to reach when all of their children have left the house and are on their own. (With our youngest only 11 years old, I don't know if I should be thinking about empty nests at all.)

A nest is a place for nurturing growth, symbolic of love and sacrifice. When all nestlings or fledglings (or children) have left, does it disintegrate, pretty much the way that an unused body part may atrophy? 

I hope not.

Because I would want our empty nest to be strong, warm, and ready to welcome our children and grandchildren should they decide to take a break from their independent lives and go see what the old folks are up to. And when they come, I want the chirping to sound like music once again. I want the blessed food to be passed around again, enough for everyone and maybe a bit more should anybody wish to take home leftovers. And I want Husband and I to be still healthy, lucid, and happily taking in all the goings-on.

Our empty nest will not be empty, certainly not if we can help it. 

It will be full of love, silent as it is profuse, totally welcoming and unconditional. They will come home, draw comfort from from what is familiar, and leave stronger and more resolute.

And then, hopefully, they would want to visit again.


2 comments:

  1. As long as your home is full of love, you're sure your children and grandchildren will return time and again.

    God bless you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the affirmation! We will remember that!

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!