17.1.14

It's Always Nice to Know

The hubby and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of this year. Twenty-five years! Where did the years go?! Yeah, trite, but is there an easy and satisfactory answer?


In the musical The Fiddler on the Roof, there is this endearing and touching scene between husband Tevye and wife Golde. They have been married for 25 years, their marriage arranged by their parents. They have five daughters, strive hard to earn a living, and try to keep their family together amidst difficult times in Tsarist Russia.

Tevye has given permission for his eldest daughter to marry a tailor, somebody Golde doesn't think very much of. Tevye contends that their daughter loves the guy, then, as if by some afterthought, he asks Golde, "Do you love me?"

The following are excerpts from the song Do You Love Me? in the musical.

(Golde)
Do I love you?
For twenty-five years I've washed your clothes
Cooked your meals, cleaned your house
Given you children, milked the cow
After twenty-five years, why talk about love right now?

...

Do I love him?
For twenty-five years I've lived with him
Fought him, starved with him
...
If that's not love, what is?

(Tevye)
Then do you love me?

(Golde)
I suppose I do. 

(Tevye)
And I suppose I love you, too. 

(Tevye and Golde)
It doesn't change a thing
But even so
After twenty-five years
It's nice to know.


Where did the years go? Will an answer change a thing? Maybe not.

But the hubby and I, we suppose we love each other, and that's always nice to know.

2 comments:

  1. It just keeps getting better and better in my experience, even from an awful beginning, if a couple is unquestionably committed to their marriage. All that rubbing against one another is how we get polished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commitment: that's the word, isn't it? That's how we get that polished look after many years :-)

      Delete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!