3.2.14

Heights

We live in the city, a mere hundred meters away from a major and maddeningly busy thoroughfare. I am not complaining, though, because this is home, so lovingly provided for and sustained by hardworking Husband. We are happy here, and our hearts cannot be more grateful.

Someday, say, when Youngest Daughter would be in college, Husband and I also hope to build a little house in the province. There, we will grow an herb and vegetable garden and maybe raise some native chickens. He will read all the books he wants to read, and I will never run out of sewing projects. In the late afternoons, we will sit by the porch and just well... sit still and enjoy the quiet.

That's it. Quiet. That's what we don't have in the city.

But I'll let you in on this.

From my window, I can see treetops. Yes, greenery. God, in His generosity, painted me splashes of green and blue and yellow amidst the massive gray and black. Today, I look up and see the narra tree and its yellow blossoms against the blue sky. Not far away is an acacia tree that survived what I had thought was an overly aggressive trimming. There it is again, ever sturdy, lush, and will probably outlive our street's residents.

So for now, treetops fill in my need for quiet amidst the noise, lights, and pollution.

Husband and I may or may never build that house in the province. But you know what, if we end up not being able to build it, I would still be able to snatch doses of quiet here and there, wherever I am. God will send me more than my share of quiet.

You see, God is everywhere.


7 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of Psalm 131; you have a calm and quiet soul:

    O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
    my eyes are not raised too high;
    I do not occupy myself with things
    too great and too marvelous for me.
    But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
    like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child is my soul within me.
    O Israel, hope in the Lord
    from this time forth and forevermore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful and indeed, calming, psalm-prayer! Thank you for writing that out for me.

      Blessings and graces to you and yours...

      Delete
  2. Yes, He is, and when we ask Him to open our eyes to see more of His gifts to us, He obliges us. I expect you'll find even more ways that He feeds your desire for a connection with nature as you continue to look around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you the encouragement, Anna. How wonderful God's creation provides for us in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia, I live near the noise of the city too, but my heart has always been in the country, and I'm quite sure that ...sometimes... I grumble more than I praise Him. So, I thank you for sharing these beautiful thoughts of praise.
    I wonder if I'll ever have time for sewing projects, but I'm going to be thankful for the health to do whatever it is He calls me to.
    This was a real blessing to read..+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herbs, reading and sewing sound like heaven!
    I hope and pray you get to.
    You're such a dear. Your post made me smile.
    sigh...
    Blessings,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I was up late commenting and I do not see them! Maybe I did not do it right! I am not sure if google and wordpress are having issue! Ugh I have lost my follows too! I love this post! Hope all is well. Em

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!