10.2.14

My Week


Moments of Gratitude

I am thankful for

~ daughters who understand that house chores have to be done and done well. 
~ a son who is quickly replacing his father as our handyman. 
~ Youngest Daughter learning to bike with the help of our neighbors' kids. 
~ being able to read the news online. (TV ads can such time wasters.)
~ Husband who pre-cooked Monday dinner, knowing how Mondays can be for me. 


Pondering on obedience and sacrifice

From Saint Therese of Lisieux in The Story of a Soul:
"When some one knocks at our door, or when we are rung for, we must practice mortification and refrain from doing even another stitch before answering. I have practiced this myself, and I assure you that it is a source of peace."
"If you fought only when you felt eagerness, where would be your merit? What does it matter, even if you are devoid of courage, provided you act as though you possessed it? If you are too lazy to pick up a bit of thread, and yet do so for love of Jesus, you acquire more merit than for a much nobler action done in a moment of fervor."
Anna of A Thousand Generations wrote a related piece on doing what God wants from us. It is rich in insight and practical sense. Do read it!


Praying for

among others, the Pope's intentions for February, as entrusted to the Apostleship of Prayer:

"Elders.  That the Church and society may respect the wisdom and experience of older people. 
Collaboration in Evangelization.  That priests, religious, and lay people may work together with generosity."

The Apostleship of Prayer website also gives reflections that correspond to these intentions. The Prayer of the Month follows the reflections. Let's use them in our prayers!


Liturgical Living

Today is the Memorial of Saint Scholastica. Like her twin brother Saint Benedict, her life spelled total dedication to our Lord. 

Tomorrow is the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. She appeared to Saint Bernadette and told the fourteen-year old girl, "I am the Immaculate Conception". Many pilgrims go to Lourdes to seek healing for many illnesses. 

Tomorrow is also the World Day of Prayer for the Sick. The prayer for last year's XXI World Day of the Sick is detailed in reflections and intentions, and could actually be prayed anytime. 

In the section on the World Day of the Sick in  Father Leo Patalinhug's book, Grace Before Meals, he talks about kindness and taking care of others. He also offers recipes of porridge and soups. Comfort food does make wonders.

What is your comfort food? 


In the School Front

We did a bit of rearranging around the study area, which is also our dining room. We also cleared the bulletin board and the monthly erasable calendar. Did you know that old whiteboard markings can be very difficult to erase? Yup.

This week has to be a good catch-up week or we won't deserve to go anywhere this weekend. Yup. I will be foregoing some errands to help Younger Daughter stick to her weekly plans and help Second Daughter to review for a dreaded Latin exam. 


Around the House

What is a mom's life without laundry? Hmm, maybe I'll feel like a queen for a while, then start having nightmares of hampers and washing machines running after me...

I'm still working on my dream cleaning caddy, reading a lot on green cleaners and alternately feeling enlightened and confused. 

I will pat myself on the back for keeping a reasonably clean and orderly desk last week. May this week be as "successful". 


In the Kitchen

Monday - We just had steamed rice topped with pork adobo sans the pork fat.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the week:

Tuesday - steamed fish and vegetables
Wednesday - carbonara and Caesar's salad
Thursday - beef tacos (make your own)
Friday - broiled milkfish and pinakbet (native vegetables stewed in shrimp paste)


Creating

I am making slow but sweet progress with the petite table napkins that I mentioned in my last daybook. I want to finish a dozen before moving on to another project, although, that next project may actually be mending and darning :-(


Reading 

I've been reading stab-style, Donna Smallin's A to Z Storage Solutions. By "stab-style", I mean browsing then reading in detail whatever interests me :-)

I should really be getting on with a systematic reading of disaster preparedness materials. This is what I reminded myself at the start of February...


Wandering Around the Web

'Been catching up with your blogs, ladies, and thoroughly enjoying myself while receiving encouragement and useful information. Thank you for being in cyberspace for me. 


Captured

Sizing up the enemy

7 comments:

  1. So funny we both have out pet pics up this week : )

    I was thinking the same thing about emergency preparedness. Even though we lost power for only two hours, I started thinking what would happen if it was this way for a week!?

    I like the quotes from St. Therese. Yep...that's me...*let me just finish one more thing here Lord then I will get to it.* Oiy.

    Have a grace filled week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote from Saint Therese speaks to me, too! And there I am getting mad when my children don't come down for meals promptly :-(

      You have a grace-filled week, too :-)

      Delete
  2. Marcia, Oh so many great things in your Daybook! But this quote from pondering on obedience and sacrifice really struck me: "When some one knocks at our door, or when we are rung for, we must practice mortification and refrain from doing even another stitch before answering. I have practiced this myself, and I assure you that it is a source of peace." This is such a Benedictine principle...to be practiced re: the work of God, but this is true hospitality and welcoming everyone as Christ. I will keep this close to my heart this week.

    Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "..welcoming everyone as Christ." -- so right yet often so easy to forget! Thanks for that insight!

      Blessings and graces...

      Delete
  3. Marcia, What a great daybook!
    I love your quotes and suggested readings.
    AND that cat - boy is she watching the dog.
    I do worry about your preparedness. Please do your best to stay safe.
    Praying for your country.
    There is room for you all here in Texas.
    Blessings...
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Daybook! I love those quotes from St. Therese. Those are the reasons she is a saint and I am not :) As for comfort food - chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great surprise to find a link to my blog! Thank you; I'm so glad that it was helpful. When I got back from mass tonight I was completely wiped out and all I could think of was how I wanted the comfort food of my childhood: a can of Franco-American spaghetti and dill pickles! Instead, my DH made something better: a mix of potatoes, onions, eggs, and chicharrones. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!