9.2.14

A Simple Joy: All in a Day


Left the city



for the countryside,



to visit the folks, be fed a hearty lunch,
(and not have to wash dishes after).
So enjoyed myself that I forgot that I had a camera,
(so you won't be seeing pictures of human beings here...)

The break was just for a day, though,
for we heard duties and other musts
calling from the city.

So we took the road back,
but stopped a quarter of the way 
to recondition and change modes.

Before long it was dark,
and we entered the city gates


where the lights seemed to take fancier forms
to welcome us back.


2 comments:

  1. Marcia, it never occurred to me to think of a tollway entrance as city gates, but it's a perfect description. Are all the official signs in the Philippines in English? But that's not the official language, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Anna :-) Our official languages are Filipino and English. Spanish was also an official language until the '70s or '80's, I think. Signs are a mixture or English and Filipino, and even the local dialect. Our medium of instruction is English for grade 3 and up, although social studies is taught in Filipino for the entire grade school. Spanish used to be required in for 4 semesters in college. Discussions on the more extensive use of Filipino heat up every now and then. Sometimes I think that the evolution of languages is more interesting in a country with a long colonial history...

      Delete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!