31.3.14

My Week


Moments of Gratitude

I am grateful for waking up in the morning and feeling that no matter how crazy yesterday was, I am being given a new chance to do things better. 

I am grateful for the availability of cold water throughout the day. (We are at the height of the dry season.) 

I am grateful for nearly empty laundry hampers! 


Pondering on 

... the peace of God and how we might earn it:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
Let all men know your forbearance. The Lord is at hand.
Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything 
by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your prayers be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which passes all understanding,
will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

~ Philippians 4:17
(Revised standard version, Catholic edition, Ignatius Press)


... intelligently equipping one's kitchen:

" After you've done a thorough spring cleaning of your existing kitchen toolbox, make it a habit to ask yourself why you need the tool before purchasing. It should either perform a task that no tool currently in your collection can, or do it so much better that it deserves a place in the lineup."

~ Alton Brown in Gear for Your Kitchen


Praying for

... the Pope's intentions for April, as entrusted to the Apostleship of Prayer:

"Universal Intention - Ecology and Justice:
That governments may foster the protection of creation
and the just distribution of natural resources.

"Evangelization Intention: Hope for the Sick:
That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts 
of those who are being tested by pain and sickness." 

You can read about and reflect on the intentions here


Liturgical Living 

I haven't done a single Way of the Cross this Lent, and I am sad about that. I have to change that this week. 

Some online treasures on the Way of the Cross that I will be paying attention to:

~ Why make the Way of the Cross: The Way of the Cross by Winfrid Herbst, S.D.S., in Catholic Culture
~ The Way of the Cross prayers: The Way of the Cross by Saint Josemaria, in the escrivaworks site.
 
~ The Way of the Cross prayers: The Living Way of the Cross by Mother Angelica, in the EWTN library

How is your Lent coming along?     


Reading

In Conversation with God, Volume 2: Lent and Eastertide by Francis Fernandez
~ The Story of a Soul by Saint Therese of Lisieux
Gear for Your Kitchen by Alton Brown 


In the School Front

The homeschoolers and I should be doing more if we want to take a break for the entirety of the Holy Week. It should be a good time to concentrate on prayer and the sacraments and maybe visit some churches in the neighboring localities.

My "regular schoolers" (one in college, one in high school) will be done with the school year this week! 


Around the House

I can't tell you enough how good it feels to have nearly conquered the "laundry foldables," as we call them. TV and conversation helped a lot. I would say that there are less than 50 pieces left, and that is an accomplishment! 

I haven't changed linen in our home altar from the green of Ordinary Time to the purple of Lent. Yikes, I am not proud of that...


In the Kitchen

As I mentioned in last week's Daybook (In the Kitchen), Lent is a good time to learn new fish dishes. I had relative success with last week's attempt even if I missed out on some ingredients :-(, and the cook in me is emboldened to try other recipes. 

So this week, I'm thinking that I should try a coconut-based recipe: Guinataang Kalabasa, Sitaw,, at Hipon (Squash, Long Beans, and Shrimps in Coconut Milk), again, from Lalaine's Kawaling Pinoy

Who knows, maybe if I stop being clueless in the kitchen on Lenten Fridays, we can actually do abstinence year-round!


Creating

Hmm... I am shamefully behind my Lenten sewing plans, and I putting that down here so I can be more dutiful about them and report some progress next week.   

I wrote the exact same lines in last week's Daybook. Oh please, nag me on this!


Looking Ahead

~ to having the roof checked before the rains come (handymen are busy this time of year),

~ to washing pillows and drying them in the bright, strong sun (and buying some new ones?) and

~ to feasting on halo-halo (my loose translation is "fruit sherbet"), a Filipino favorite during the dry season.


Captured




6 comments:

  1. Isn't it SUCH a great feeling when the end is in sight with the laundry? It's like climbing Mt. Everest in way - you can look back at the effort and feel proud that you made it! :D

    *nagging you about your sewing, chop chop!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your cheerful and encouraging presence in my little corner! Yes, I do keep admiring the freshly stocked closets, ha ha! Blessings to your days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yay on the laundry progress!" she said as she looked at the untouched piles sitting beside her. ;-) And kudos on your attempting a sewing project. I regret never learning how to properly sew on a button, let alone anything else. I also loved the photo. Paper supplies make me giddy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by! It's never too late to learn a few useful skills :-) I'm consoled that I'm not the only one crazy over note pads, posties, and the lot...

      Delete
  4. Hi Marcia. We've only prayed the Stations once at home this Lent. We've missed each Friday's devotions and that makes me sad too. Come do my laundry please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is good -- we still have until the 5th Sunday of Lent and the entire Holy Week! If only we were neighbors, I'd drop in now and then :-) 'Hope all is well!

      Delete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!