Skip to main content

Figuring Out Field Trips


I will skip that part about the merits of field trips for both institutionally schooled and homeschooled children. I assume that there very few non-believers out there, anyway.

Let me go ahead and share with you some do's and dont's about field trips that I've learned as a homeschooling mom. (Please read disclosure section of this blog before you proceed :-))

1. Group sizeIt is good to keep the size of your group manageable for the sanity of the moms and volunteer dads :-). It is easier to move, do on-the-spot lectures, eat, monitor, and Heaven forbid, deal with an emergency situation if group size is manageable.

2.  CoordinatorAssign a coordinator, but share tasks. The coordinator will stay on top of preparations, keep the group moving during the field trip, and make quick decisions on site, if necessary.

3. Choice of sites. Ideally, the choice of places to be visited should be aligned with the children's lessons. This is not a rule, though, and if it were, it is not set in stone. As far as practicable, it is good to follow a theme. You can also ask the children what they wish to visit, and just give it a go! Consider location, location, location. Don't end up logging in more hours in the car moving from one site to another than staying in the sites, learning, absorbing, and lingering to enjoy them more.  

4.  Preliminary knowledge about the sites. Study the websites of the sites that you will visit. If at all possible, conduct an ocular inspection. Ask friends and other resource persons about the sites. Know as much as you can. There are two reasons for this:

a. You have to introduce the kids to the content of the field trip. For example, if you are going to a
historical museum, they have to know the relevant what's, who's, where's, and when's, so that the trip will be more meaningful for them. If you are really into it, you can even prepare worksheets that the children can answer before, during, and after the field trip.

b. There are practical considerations like expenses, promotions, best time of the year to visit, alternative routes, proximity to emergency health facilities, and so on.

5. Make a packing list for your family and if you are a coordinator, for the group. Don't over-pack, but don't travel too lightly either. Some things in your list: food (!), extra clothes, first-aid kit, maps, notes, emergency money.

6. On the day itself, be punctual and cooperative, observe good manners, and look out for each other. This is for everyone joining the trip. Don't forget to enjoy the sites and each other's company.

7. After the field trip, discuss learnings with your children. This is a good way to evaluate the success of the trip. Discuss with the other moms what you did right, what you did wrong, and where you can improve. Plan the next trip!


How do you do your field trips?

Please share your experiences, tips, opinions, and suggestions in the comments section!

Photo notes:
1. Jumbo kaleidoscope at the Philippine Science Centrum
2. Signage of the Shoe Museum
3. Exterior of the Our Lady of the Abandoned Parish Church
All sites are in Markina, Metro Manila.


This post was originally written for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge

Comments

  1. perfectly described :) you are CUTE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps! Thank you for visiting :-)

      Delete
  2. I am a middle school teacher in a public school. My students and I are going on a field trip soon. It is A LOT of work, but so worth it because the kids have fun and they learn something.
    Amanda at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine how much more difficult it is for a full-sized class, and I have to admire you for the work that you do!

      Delete
  3. What a good list; I will be pinning that for future use. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…