Skip to main content

Morning Companions


I don't do rise-and-shine well. That's my reality at midlife (or maybe past it). However, since motherhood, housekeeping, and homeschooling are some of the best-loved choices of my crazy life, I have to make some honest efforts towards the rise-and-shine imperative.

When I was pregnant with my firstborn, my doctor advised Husband to serve me a cuppa tea when I wake up in the morning. Husband diligently followed that advice and two decades or so later, he still serves me my morning cuppa. Sometimes I'm pregnant, and sometimes I'm not. These days, too, it's coffee. For a few years -- when weight management was a breeze -- it was hot chocolate.

Regardless of the type of hot beverage, caffeine content, and gestational stage, though, the morning cuppa never failed in its purpose: to help me kick off the day right. That's because any day, started the right way, will more likely go the right way and end the right way. But a cuppa does not a good morning completely make. If that were so, I would have trained to be a barista a long time ago and gotten me a job in the best-paying coffee shop I could find.

My morning cuppa needs a companion. It's called the Morning Prayer. If I were more honest and serious about it, the Morning Prayer is actually a stand-alone, and can do excellent headstarts independently of the cuppa. But you know, the habits of pregnancy die hard.

The Morning Prayer pegs the start of the day, and it is fitting that I start my day with the Lord, who is gifting me with another 24 hours. Who doesn't like gifts? Maybe if I think this way as I open my eyes in the morning, it would be easier to rise and shine (and be full of praises and thanksgiving, having just received yet another gift) rather than bargain for a few more minutes of sleep and then a few more...

The Morning Prayer is actually a good way to organize my day. You know... Lord, today, the children and I have some tough lessons to finish. Please glue them to their seats and make them stop making up reasons to take yet another break. Lord, I'm not really up to cooking dinner, but fastfoods are just so unhealthy and expensive. Please transform me into a Rachel Ray. And it goes on. I enumerate the tasks for the day, almost like consulting my planner, and reminding the Lord where and when I can really use some help!

Just as my choice of cuppa has evolved over the years, so has my Morning Prayer. A carryover from almost another life is the Morning Offering, which we prayed morning after morning after morning for a good part of grade school.

Another carryover, this time from my college days, especially during the freak-out weeks at the end of the semester is the hurried "Dear God, thank you for this new day. Help me to remember that you won't let anything come that you and I together can't handle." (That's not original; I read it somewhere back then. I tried Googling it, but can't get a source.) A near variant is "Dear God, thank you for this new day. Please help me make the most out of it."

These days I try to make a go of the Morning Prayer of the Liturgy of the Hours. Honestly, it is rather long :-), but after getting more familiar with it, I have developed a better appreciation for this prayer of the Church. I feel a deep sense of togetherness with priests, nuns, other religious, and the laity, knowing that they are also praying the Liturgy of the Hours. The use of Psalms and other Biblical selections also bonds me with the believers of long ago.

On the hopefully unlikely chance that I find myself alone and stranded in an island, I would still start my day with my morning companions, my cuppa and the Morning Prayer. I may have to close my eyes and coach my sense of smell to imagine my cuppa, but my Morning Prayer would flow naturally. We do not forget the things we do again and again even if the locations and circumstances change.

Then I would  not really be alone.

This post was originally written for the A to Z Blogging Challenge.


Comments

  1. Marcia,
    Thanks so much for your thoughts on prayer. I loved your conclusion...I recall reading about Hannah in 2 Samuel. When she left her prayer time with God, nothing had changed in her circumstances (she still wasn't pregnant and she still had to deal with the other wife and her children), but her countenance changed because she had poured her soul out to God. Thank you for the reminder to never take for granted the special time I spend with the One I love.

    Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
    Donna (fellow A to Z Blogger)
    www.fullmeasureofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your own thoughts, Donna. I am blessed by your visit. God bless you and yours :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! God bless...

      Delete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…