Skip to main content

My Week



Moments of Gratitude

I am thankful for blue skies on a very hot day. Can you imagine how sad the combination of gray skies and high temperatures would be?

I am thankful for ice-cold water on a very hot day. I am a maaad coffee drinker, but cold coffee beverages never appealed to my toughly conditioned palate.

I am thankful for late afternoon Sunday Masses, held when the heat has all but spent its energy and a cool, soft breeze whispers through the choir's voices, the word of the Lord, and the intercessions of His people. 


Pondering

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone,
And with the morn those Angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile. 

~ last stanza of Lead, Kindly Light


Prayer Intentions

I am praying for

~ my family and all families, that supporting and edifying each other may come as second nature to family members. Too often, children and even parents, turn to the wrong people for solace and guidance because they don't get those from their families.

~ the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our daily decisions, both the seemingly trivial and the overwhelmingly significant.

~ those who are afflicted by poverty in its many forms.

~ those who have nobody to pray for them.


Liturgical Living

It's the Fifth Week of Easter, already!

My daughter wants me to organize a field trip with another homeschooling family. She knows where she wants to go: to a toy museum and a pencil factory in the morning, and to the swimming pool in the afternoon. I just want to stay indoors until the sun decides to scatter fewer of its fiercest flashes to us tropical creatures, but I know that I will concede to this request and enjoy the outing, too :-)


Common Time

This is a new heading in my daybook.

A long time ago, when all four of them were being homeschooled, I started a morning practice that never really took on. I called it the "common time". The common time is our very first class period wherein I required all my children to sit down in the study area to do the following routine together: prayer before study, reading on the saint of the day, and math speed drills. After the common time, the children did their respective lessons. I am not sure why it didn't take on; maybe I was not very good in nudging my children, maybe a couple of them were not morning persons, or maybe, just maybe. 

Now with just two of them being homeschooled, perhaps it is time to reconsider the common time. With just the three of us left in the house the whole day, we have somehow converged to a common unwritten schedule and it is easier to try a new shared activity. Let's see how this second try goes. 


Towards Healthy Living

This is another first-time heading in my daybook. So let's forget about having an ambitious debut and be reasonable with resolutions.

No rice with the evening meal. There. 

Maybe when I have succeeded with that (meaning I have stuck to no-rice-with-the-evening-meal rule for two weeks -- 14 consecutive days), I can try the no-soda-with-any-meal rule. 

I can almost hear the hubby go ha ha.   


In the Kitchen

Jenny of The Littlest Way inspired me to set some May goals, and I focused on the kitchen:

1. Reorganize storage (pantry, ref, cabinets, drawers).
2. Try out and refine 1 weekly menu.
3. Bake one cake (cake mix not acceptable — I’ve perfected that way of baking; frosting is optional).


With just a few days left in the month, I am done rearranging the frequently used items in their cabinets and drawers, and I am almost done weeding out the pantry and the ref. Nothing yet on #2  and #3, I have to admit :-(


Around the House

~ Clutter - normal level, which is acceptable

~ Laundry - below normal level, which is good 

~ Floors - below normal clean, which bothers me

~ Bathrooms - normal level, which is good 

This week, I am conveniently ignoring the rest unless I have time for them.


In Stitches

After successfully (ehem) driving down the laundry hamper levels to below normal, and ridding the below-the-kitchen-sink space of things that don't belong there, I am thinking of sewing curtains for the laundry hamper nook and the space under the sink. Just to cheer up the spaces before the wet season comes with its gloomy days :-)


Reading...

... mostly unfinished books begging to be finished.

~ Reflections on an Unexciting Life, 02/02/14

~ Reflections on an Unexciting Life: Stability of Mind

~ An Unexciting Life: Fasting

~ An Unexciting Life: Corporal Works of Mercy


Sister Hilda Kleiman, OSB, has a novel and helpful learning tool and reflection aid in her "commonplace books". Check them out here in The Book of the Battle Maiden
You should really head over to these places because you have thus far tolerated my ranting (thanks :-)), and you deserve better reading material! 


Captured




Comments

  1. Beautiful cloud pictures Marcia. I'm heading over to Anna's site right now to check out her series. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your day book.
    I think my favorite comment is "~ Floors - below normal clean, which bothers me". It made me giggle. HA I always say, with two animals and one son even if I just mopped, I wouldn't lick the floors. Sigh. They are as clean as they are. We need new carpet desperately.
    Those books sound great. Websites too.
    Oh - and good luck with the Common Time. Let us know how it goes.
    Have a great week dear.
    Blessings,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Em, I, too, love reading your day book(s). Your new headings are very good; I especially like the "Common Time". We used to do something similar, only to have it fall by the wayside as well. Maybe come the Fall & New school year, I will pick that up again... thank you for the inspiration!

    I just love the statue of St. Francis of Assisi, pictured on your sidebar. I am very impressed with a lot of pictures you share of saint statues and churches. I'm getting a little envious. ;o)

    Best wishes and success with your goals and organizing...especially that field trip! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcia, I'm giving you a Catholic Writer's Award. Details here http://www.anabellehazard.blogspot.com/2014/06/bob-blog-takes-me-to-shrine.html. Have a great summer but don't neglect the blog and the writing ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…