3.1.15

On the Seventh Day of Christmas

December 31
Optional Memorial of Saint Sylvester I, pope

On the seventh day of Christmas, we left the city once more for our home province, to be with family for New Year's Day. 

Well, you know how it is when you travel by car with the entire family. Traveling light applies only to travel by air and sea, or when there are baggage restrictions. Traveling by land AND in the family car is the exact opposite. You forget all your packing skills and lists, and just throw everything in. Each family member ends up with at least three bags that do not necessarily follow prescribed dimensions. Of course, Husband also finds space for the essential Coleman that carries the ingredients for his signature dishes, to be concocted upon arrival at our destination. A bunch of footwear gets thrown in at the last minute.

After the usual exercise of arranging, rearranging, and threatening, we give the rear door a strong, final, and oh-please-close-and-remain-closed push, and heave a sigh of thanks. When you have a definitely-not-new-anymore car like ours and a collective weight of baggage like ours, you can only be thankful that your car is magically expandable, like ours.

Thankfully, road traffic was light, and I shamelessly slept most of the way. I know it's not fair, but you see, I. Don't. Drive. I am not proud of it, and I sent my older children to driving school almost as soon as they could get student permits, but, yes, I recognize and exploit the benefits of this lack of relevant skills. So, thankfully again, but no thanks to me, we reached our destination.  

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you. Hoping your 2015 is going well.
    Blessings!
    Em

    ReplyDelete

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!