5.10.15

My Week



In adoration,
I praise God for the constancy of His love, generosity, and forgiveness. I praise God for his creation and how it continually amazes me, even in the city -- the concrete jungle, as they call it. I praise God for his saints whose company is always welcome, refreshing, and edifying.

In contrition,
I examine myself on the virtue of charity. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (1822) defines charity as "the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God". It sounds very much like -- because it is -- Jesus' command to us.

Who was it who said that the practice of virtue should come with sacrifice? It is so easy to feel and proclaim charity for neighbor. Who will contest that? It is also easy to grab a few coins and quickly hand them to a beggar, just so he leaves and not bother you anymore. But is that charity? I guess even virtues have nuances, and these nuances are paradoxically the very parameters that define a virtue. Or maybe, the reckoning should be done instead at its simplest, most basic level: How pure are my intentions? That is reckoning at the level of the heart.

In thanksgiving, 
I thank the Lord for the numerous second chances that He gives us, reasons enough to frequent the Sacrament of Confession and to try not to do so many blunders in any given day.

In supplication,
I remember the intentions of the Holy Father for the month of October 2015

Universal intention - "That human trafficking, the modern form of slavery, may be eradicated"

Evangelization intention - "That with a missionary spirit the Christian communities of Asia may announce the Gospel to those who are still awaiting it."  

The rest of 'em
The rest of 'em is really just consciously and deliberately living each minute. That is what I so want to do this week. Task lists, planners, and organizers are all fine, and I have realized how I am in dire need of them. But being organized and being busy do not make a meaningful or even productive life if there is no sense of purpose underlining each act, however small.

Have a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!