Skip to main content

My Week


In adoration,

I consider the beauty and bounty in creation, and how much I take them for granted. Residing in a busy, crowded, and polluted metropolis, I nevertheless wake up to a sunrise made mild and gentle by a couple of trees across the street. Nearby is a narra tree whose amazing annual transformations from out-and-out bald and dry to madly flourishing in green and yellow, I can also marvel at from my window.

There is some meaning in the contradiction, I think, and it is that, in the midst of nature wrecked by man, there remains glimpses of the steadfastness of God's loving providence. And considering this, should we not feel called to a renewed sense of stewardship of creation?
  
Sunrise by my window




In contrition,

On the heels of the Christmas Season, I examine myself on the virtue of humility. Citing the Gospel of Luke, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (525) reminds us that Jesus in the humblest state with simple shepherds as His first visitors. However, "in this poverty, heaven's glory was manifest".

I find it bit tricky to live by humility. For example, it may be easy for me to refrain from bragging or praising myself or claiming to be better than Person X. But bragging is not necessarily at the other extreme of humility. I don't have to brag to THINK that I am superior to other people. I just have to think it, and out the window goes humility. Or in my prayers, I can tell God that I submit my will to His, but negotiate with Him about what I want Him to do in my life. Virtues do have nuances, don't they?

A lesson in humility



In thanksgiving, 

I remember the Christmas Season just past and the opportunities to gather with family, again and again, in the city and in the province, over Christmas, New Year, and January birthdays. I marvel at how big my parents' and parents-in-law's families have grown over the years, giving my children a combined total of 22 cousins, all of whom they are close to.



Red boots on green grass


In supplication, 

I keep in mind the Pope's intentions for January, which he entrusts to the Apostleship of Prayer:

Universal intention - "Interreligious dialogue. That sincere dialogue among men and women of different faiths may produce the fruits of peace and justice."

Evangelization intention - Christian unity. "That by means of dialogue and fraternal charity and with the grace of the Holy Spirit, Christians may overcome divisions."

You can find the Apostleship of Prayer's reflections on January's intentions here.

Bird on the roof


Never say die (a.k.a. Around the house)

A couple of doable projects for this week:

~ Sorting through everyone's closets for clothes that need mending and those that may be given away.
~ Sorting through everyone's footwear for those that need repair and/or cleaning and those that need to be retired.

I worked on my One-Spread Planner during the early days of January. I will work on a separate post on it, but for now, you can check out the 2013 version here.

The goal of a One-Spread Planner is to simplify the exercise of planning your entire year. If you are like me, I tend to over-plan and miss the bigger and more important picture. I identify guideposts around which I plan monthly focus and activities. These year, the guideposts I used are:
~ liturgical season,
~ papal intentions,
~ monthly observances/dedications,
~ civil observances,
~ room in focus/organizational tasks, and
~ family activities.

A happy level of organization


Never ever say die (a.k.a. Around the kitchen

I've been wanting to make frozen fruit salad for months now, and today, I actually made a batch. Whew. I just placed it in the freezer, and judging time is tonight at dinnertime.

There are also overripe bananas waiting to be transformed into cupcakes or bread. Don't you sometimes wish that a magic wand is hidden somewhere in your utensils drawer?

'Best to keep her out of the kitchen during meal preps and mealtimes.


Primary educator, always

Book inventory and cataloging. My one big project this year. Cataloging is not just for big libraries, right? :-) There are many reasons why we should do this, not the least of which is for us to be able to maximize the use of our learning resources. When you know what you have AND where they are, they tend to be used more.

What Eldest Daughter did after her final exams


Tackling the book hoard and the bookmarks

I'm not making a books-to-be-read list this year. Instead, I will make a books-read list. Outcomes over plans. I read every chance I get, but not as often as I wish to (or plan to), so a half-done books-to-be-read list at the end of the year can be frustrating.

Outside of schoolbooks and work-related reading, I always have four books on my desk and/or nightstand. There is one book each for the following categories:
~ fiction,
~ non-fiction,
~ education and learning, and
~ spiritual reading.

Where I hope to read many books this year


Liturgical living and devotions

We are at the start of what I call "short Ordinary Time", versus the months-long Ordinary Time before Advent. Youngest Daughter just finished a little project on the liturgical cycle. Hopefully later, we can do more beyond tabulating the seasons, their keywords, and assigned colors. Keeping plans doable, I would also love for us to study the life of just one saint. I am thinking of Saint Thomas Aquinas whose feast day falls on January 28.

I also hope to do Candlemas well this year. If I can assemble a basket of candles for my sisters, mom, and mother-in-law AND have them blessed during the early morning Mass on February 2, I would have done well :-).


Our Lady of Caysasay Church, Taal, Batangas, Philippines, established in 1603

Have a good week, everyone!

Comments

  1. I love your writing style.
    And Yes, where is that magic wand?

    I too have lightened up on the reading plan to what we have read and we end up on different trails and have enjoyed the change up.
    I have rediscovered a few past favorites I might have missed introducing to my kids.
    Congratulations to your parents for their many grandkids! What a great witness to family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting! You got me thinking about the good books that I should be encouraging my children to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

A House Repair Worksheet

Home repairs are like toothaches: the sooner that you do something about them, the better. Leaking faucets waste water and cost money. Sometimes, they even make sounds that seem to penetrate your skull. A loose doorknob is a security risk. A busted light bulb left un-replaced can cause physical injuries especially in hallways and staircases. It goes on.

The irony is that taking care of home repairs is not a pleasant task, especially if you are not a handyman. Or the hubby is not a handyman. Or nobody in the house is a handyman. So sometimes, the repairs grow lives of their own and -- voila! -- accumulate.

It's not too late for order, though, and order always helps. May I dare share with you a house repair worksheet that I put together in the name of order. It is in tabular form. The rows refer to the rooms or areas of the house where repair is needed, and the columns refer to the type of repair needed, namely, masonry, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing.


If you prefer to do the …

April Mappings

In adoration
... and in full trust in his forgiveness, guidance, and providence, I join David -- he who sinned grievously, repented sincerely and completely, and from whose lineage the Savior was born, I revisit the most beautiful of psalms:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~ Psalm 23 (RSV, Catholic Edition, Ignatius Press)

In contrition
April is devoted to the Holy Spirit, who came to the Apostles on the first Pentecost. I examine myself on how I have been usin…