21.1.16

My Week: January 17 to 23, 2016


In adoration,

I join Saint Francis in his Canticle of the Sun:

Be praised, my Lord,
For all your creatures,
And for your brother sun,
Who makes the day bright and luminous.
He is beautiful and radiant
With great splendor
He is the image of You,
Most high.
Be praised, my Lord,
For sister moon and the stars,
You placed them in the sky,
So bright and twinkling.


Sister Moon

In contrition,

I dwell some more on the virtue of humility, and consider Pope Francis' take on humility as the path to salvation. He said that humility is not so much toning down our pride, but accepting the truth -- that we are sinners and it is God who saves us.


There's more: read the rest here. It was actually one of Pope Francis' Lenten homilies, but nevertheless always relevant. 


In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.


In thanksgiving, 

I remember the following blessings:

~ family and family meals,
~ 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
~ access to good books,
~ peaceful mornings (no chaos), and
~ quiet evenings.


"He leads me beside still waters." ~ Psalm 23:1 (Ignatius Bible)

In supplication, 

I pray for the following intentions:

~ good health for my family,
~ meaningful learning experiences for my children,
~ an alert mind and a hopeful spirit for my daughter who will sit for college entrance examinations,
~ the elderly and the very young,
~ missing people and their families, and
~ those who have nobody to pray for them.


"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come?"
~ Psalm 121:1 (Ignatius Bible)

 Never say die (a.k.a. Around the house)

I just got rid of clothes and some footwear (ruthless was the word) that needed to be discarded a long time ago, resulting in more closet space for most of us around here. It felt good. For a while. 



Then I realized that I have to organize the clothes and footwear that survived the purge, so that we (the children, especially) know exactly what we have and where they are. I started with the closet that Husband and I share. I am still mustering the courage to do the  children's closets. 'You feel for me, moms out there?


"Once you've uncluttered your closet and freed up some space, your next goal is to make everything visible and accessible." ~ Donna Smallin in Organizing Plain and Simple

Never ever say die (a.k.a. Around the kitchen

We really should be eating more fruits!

A thought just off my head: How can I make sandwiches healthier and more appetizing? Any suggestions? I belong to a rice-crazy culture, so I really haven't given this much thought...


Primary educator, always


I've been reflecting a lot on independent learning lately. First off, I want to help Youngest Daughter not just to be a self-starter, but to be able to get over the humps by herself as she studies more difficult topics in science, history, and religion. Second (as if time is an abundant commodity around here), how I wish I can sit down and systematize my thoughts on independent learning: principles, purposes, and practices. Just some notes that I can share with siblings and friends.  
 

Tackling the book hoard and the bookmarks

Let me tell you about this book that I am reading: John of the Cross: Man and Mystic by Richard P. Hardy.

"Over the years, he had developed his studies in such a serious and exacting way that they had become a form of prayer."

While I've always wanted to read more about Saint Teresa of Avila and Saint John of the Cross, the book that my sister had lent me seemed so serious -- not to mention thick -- that the resolve fizzled quickly. Over the Christmas break, though, I visited a religious bookstore and chanced on Hardy's book.

Beyond the usual who-what-where-when that a biography supplies, John of the Cross  gives the reader a glimpse of who the man was and how his deep love for God, fortitude, simplicity, and humility fed his desire for a pure and unhindered relationship with his Creator. From that perspective, it becomes easier to appreciate the saint's contemplative and ascetic life.

Another accomplishment of the author is the vivid narration of how monasteries were set up in conformity with the reform of the Carmelite Order, as initiated by Saint Teresa of Avila. Just as I was beginning to consider that the purpose of being a contemplative and its "deprivations" is an early death, I read the following:

"They did not aim so much at death to the world 
as to the abandonment of all that hindered them 
from loving in the world 
that God who created and loved the world."   


I haven't the finished the book yet, so I will be learning so much more as I move along. 

I forgot to mention that Hardy's style is so readable and somewhat conversational, and that benfitted me :-).



Liturgical living and devotions

Tomorrow, January 22, is the Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children. There is so much to reflect on, pray for, and act on on this matter. The lack of protection for the unborn child hits the very core of our faith in our Creator who alone can give and take away life. 

Do read the considerations offered here

"How can there be too many children?
That is like saying there are too many flowers."

~ Blessed Mother Teresa


I hope you are having a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!