22.2.16

My Week


In adoration, 
I repeat portions of the responsorial psalm from yesterday's Mass
(Second Sunday of Lent):

The Lord is my light and salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

I believe that I shall see the goodness of the of the Lord
in the land of the living!
Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
yes, wait for the Lord!

~Psalm 27:1,13-14 
(Ignatius, RSV, 2nd ed.)


In contrition,
I examine my resolve to repent 
and have a "clean heart" and a "new and clean spirit" (Psalm 51:10).
Lenten plans and devotions are all very nice to have -- and indeed, I should have them --
but void of the honest resolve to change, 
plans and devotions become clutter.

In thanksgiving,
I remember these blessings: fair weather when we need fair weather (and we always do :-)), 
good conversation during family meals, a hubby willing to go on long drives on weekends, 
daughters willing to do housework, a quiet work station, the company of supportive co-workers, 
and waking up in the morning with a purpose.

In supplication,
I pray for the DISCIPLINE to maintain good health practices, 
keep the house clean and orderly, and 
update myself with the children's school and "other" concerns 
(especially the "other" concerns!). 

I also pray for those who have nothing to eat and nowhere to live, 
those who are willing to work but cannot find jobs, 
those who want to go to school but don't have the means to do so, 
and those who have to go through life alone.

Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle opens the Holy Door at the Manila Cathedral
(Minor Basilica and Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception).
Photo credit: CBCP News

Never say die (a.k.a. around the house)
Closets, closets, closets.

Never ever say die (a.k.a. around the kitchen)
With the dry season creeping on us, cold beverages and treats (and advertisements) are also upon us. Husband and Second Daughter concocted some haluhalo yesterday, and I must say I truly enjoyed it. (Sorry, no photos.) Haluhalo is a local version of sherbet with fruit and
bean preserves as the main ingredients. 
It can be topped with leche flan (creme caramel) and ube halaya (sweetened ground purple yam) 
for an extra treat (maybe after Lent). Recent versions use ice cream instead of milk.

The funny thing is, I had actually hid our ice crusher in a cabinet where I store 
infrequently used homeschool materials. You see, it's a bulky and unsightly mini-monster, 
but very efficient, I must admit. It was taking up so much counter space, 
so I decided to banish it to that forlorn place. 
However, since people around here were deadset on halulaho
I had to confess to my act and unearth the thing. 
Let's just say that it's going to be on our kitchen counter for a while longer. 

Primary educator, always
After weeks of failing to haul off a child or two to a university art museum close to where we live, 
I am so going to do it this week! 
I say that there is no excuse not to grab a gem 
when it is within an arm's reach and comes for almost free, too.

Tackling the book hoards and bookmarks
I am reading just one book for the Lenten Season because that is all I can manage :-). 
by Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI.
With just one book to aim at (goodbye, overplanning), I can give it full focus
and earn the full benefit and experience from reading it.


Liturgical living and devotions
Today is the Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, apostle.
Read about the feast here. The early days of the Church have always fascinated me.
Oh, may I have the time to read more on that era. Someday...

Have a pleasant week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!