10.2.16

My Week: February 7 to 13, 2016

In adoration,
I join the psalmist in saying:

"When I look at the heavens, the work of thy fingers,
the moon and the stars which thou hast established;
what is man that thou art mindful of him,
and the son of man that thou dost care for him?"
~ Psalm 8:3-4 (Ignatius Bible)


Psalm 8 is included among the USCCB's Prayers to Care for Creation 
(prayer of praise and thanksgiving).

At the courtyard of the Basilica Minore del Santo Nino de Cebu
In contrition,
I examine how I have tried, or failed to try, being a good steward of God's creation. A review of one's lifestyle choices is a direct and proper way to start such an examination, but I would also like to consider the culture-of-waste context given by Pope Francis in one of his weekly public audiences three years ago. You can read about it in this article, which will refer you to the 
text of the Pope's message.      

In thanksgiving, 
I remember the following blessings:
~ a patient husband who also cooks well,
~ daughters who hang out in my room in the early mornings,
~ a son who is willing to drive me to errands even on school days,
~ neighbors who organize First Friday Masses for the community,
~ friends from long ago and far away who showed up one happy Saturday,  
~ abundant cool breezes (welcome breaks from the humidity), and
~ just being alive.

In supplication, 
I pray for the intentions of the Holy Father for the month of February, 
as entrusted to the Apostleship of Prayer:

Universal: Care for Creation
"That we may take good care of creation - a gift freely given - 
cultivating and protecting it for future generations."

Evangelization: Asia
"That opportunities may increase for dialogue and encounter 
between the Christian faith and the peoples of Asia."

You can read the reflections that go with the February intentions here.

 Never say die (a.k.a. Around the house
My little feat for January was discarding clothes and footwear that should have been discarded and given away a long time ago. Hopefully, my February feat will be organizing closets that now have more room for the items that are actually being used. Any suggestions?


Traditional hatstand at the Museum of Philippine Social History
Angeles City, Pampanga province

Never ever say die (a.k.a. Around the kitchen
In our comfort food book, grilled cheese sandwiches are next only to rice porridge (lugaw). They can be quite time consuming to prepare, though, if you don't have a sandwich maker or a panini pan, and rely only on your trusty pan and turner.

My sad story is that I don't have a sandwich maker or a panini pan or much of material time. But lunch has to be prepared, see. So one panicky day last week, Second Daughter and I buttered a brownie pan, arranged bread slices, beaten eggs, and cheese slices in layers, and shoved the science experiment into the oven for 15-20 minutes or so. Voila! Decent tasting and filling food. Should go well with salad greens and some non-fancy soup. We might try the version with the salad greens and soup this week. 

Traditional cookware also at the Museum of Philippine Social History 

Primary educator, always
Around the time that I was feeling disoriented with our homeschooling routine (or the lack of it, perhaps), Auntie Leila wrote about how she did homeschool planning and mentioned DonnaYoung. (Do read Auntie Leila's entire article. If you are new to homeschooling, it will help set you in a definitely good direction. If you have been homeschooling for while -- like us -- it will nudge you to get back into the earnest disposition you were in during the early years.) 

So, anyway, among others, the post got me reacquainted with the site that all homeschooling moms know: DonnaYoung.org Printables and Resources. The site gives you what it says it does and more. Because when you are armed with the tools to provide structure into an endeavor that that can get unwieldy if you let it, e.g., homeschooling, discipline happily follows structure, and interest and motivation follow suit. Well, it is NOT frictionless as I may have made it sound, 
but that's the track.   

I toured the site again, as I did many years ago, and downloaded a planner form here and another there. I ended up doing a bit of reorganizing in the homeschool front, especially in helping Youngest Daughter make her own weekly plans from the course plans sent to us by our curriculum provider. 

I don't think I will ever be a veteran homeschooler. I am still learning many new things ten years after we stumbled into homeschooling and figured that it just might work for us. 

Tackling the book hoard and the bookmarks
John Grisham and his Sycamore Row. That's all I'm sayin'! 

Liturgical living and devotions

Source: CBCP News

Lent comes either too early or too late, I think. But it's here again! It starts today, Ash Wednesday. While reminding myself over the weekend that our dried branch from Palm Sunday should be brought to the parish office, I was also wondering how much ash a branch would make. Enough for the six foreheads in our family, I hope. 

I resolve to do Lent well enough each year, but I'm afraid you won't find very good material for your Lenten planner here. I say we up and move over to these sites for excellent ideas:

I hope you are having a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so thrilled when you visit! Please tell me how it was like!