Skip to main content

Dividing My Day

If I can have 48 hours in a day, I would welcome that. I'm quite happy with 24 though, never mind that at the end of those precious 24 hours, I still wonder where they went. Each time.

I guess this is why scheduling is an essential practical skill and following a schedule, an exercise in virtue. I will talk about virtue another day. Today, let me think aloud about how I plan my day, or more specifically, how I divide my day. I think of planning my day as dividing my day because as old wisdom goes, things are more manageable if they are divided to small chunks.

This is how a page of my daily planner looks like:


I use a generic planner because, well, it's cheap.

Anyway. Activity-wise, I divide each day into eight blocks:

1) Household. Yes, chores.
2) Homeschool. We are never on autopilot never mind that we have been doing this for years.
3) Family. On some days, this is as simple as making an appointment with the dentist. On some days, this can mean something more challenging like helping my son with his college applications.
4) Work + Social Media. It is odd that I lumped these together because while I work from home, I do not make a living from my social media activities (Sometimes I fancy I may.). I think I lumped them together because they both require computers. I haven't even blogged in a while :-(.
5) To Buy/Pay. We can't avoid this, can we.
6) To Call/Email. Can't avoid this either.
7) Norms.  I borrowed this term from the practice of norms of piety, which you can read about here. I have adopted some, and added some of my own like praying the Divine Office.
8) Well-Being. This is my personal health block, and if I'm lucky, my me-time block.

After filling in all eight blocks of my daily planner, all I really have is just a checklist. I still have to farm out my chores/tasks/activities across the waking hours of my day. In a friction-less world, that would be easy; but because of  unpredictable events, poor planning (it's a skill, remember), demanding children, or just plain laziness, planning by the hour is actually just setting up myself for boom!

Time-wise then, this is how I divide my day:


From my eight activity blocks, I choose which ones are to be done before lunch and which ones are to be done after lunch. The assumption, of course, is that I eat lunch around 12 noon. I have had reasonable success with this because the scheduling is less rigid while imposing a midday reckoning.

How do you divide your day?

P.S. Did you notice in the first photo that I put a heart around the number 7? That's for the Sacred Heart of Jesus because April 7 is a First Friday. As a child, I saw my mom doing this on her calendar, and I've done it myself since then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June Mapping

This is the first of my monthly mapping posts, which I explained here. I had wanted to post a May mapping, but... Well, now it's practically June, and I am so going to have a June mapping. For the sake of instilling organization and constancy in my crazy life, and hopefully, to prod others to have the same in their own lives (I can use the company), I hope this will be regular posting theme.

 In adoration
and in awe of a God who, in His generosity and kindness, blesses abundantly and overlooks that we hardly give Him anything in return, I chant with David:
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
When I look at thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast established; what is man that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man that thou dost care for him?
Yet thou hast made him little less than God, and dost crown him with glory and honor. Thou has given dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet, all shee…

Memorizing the Magnificat

Inspired by Jenny and the ladies of SuscipioI committed to memorize The Magnificat.   

In terms of content, The Magnificat is timely because Christmas is approaching and recalling TheVisitation prepares us for Christmas. In terms of good practice, I thought it would be good to walk the talk. I have been requiring my children to memorize answers to catechism questions, and here I am unable to do so myself.

Reality check. If you are anything like me, you haven't done much serious memorization work since your school years. Oh sure, we memorize passwords, PINs, and short shopping lists of no more than four items. But formal, literary-type and prayer material? C'mon. Of course, it was difficult.

So I strategized.

I chopped the material into "memorization units" :-) One line is equal to one memorization unit. This is what I mean:

My soul magnifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices 
in God my Savior,
for he has regarded
the low estate
of His handmaiden. 

For behold, henceforth
all…

Many a Mealtime (a re-post)

The following is a re-posting, with minor revisions, of what I wrote for Jenny's Suscipio (she now blogs at The Littlest Way) in June of last year. 
In my youth, I would hang around my grandmother's kitchen, sitting on a high stool, and watch how ingredients were carefully selected, prepared, and cooked over long hours. Everyone then converged to the long and narrow dining room where mealtimes were extended and filled with chatter. Much later, as a young bride, meal preparation was a hit-and-miss exercise, but because of Husband's patience and appreciation for my efforts, mealtimes naturally emerged as warm and strong memories from that time in the university flat that we refer to as our first home. 



What made those meals so special? Why did they bind together those who shared them? Why did we come back for more? Why do we hold close those memories of gathering together to undertake a seemingly inconsequential activity of replenishing our bodies' store of nutrients?



Migh…